Make Your Dreams Come True
Part Two: “Want”
You can accomplish ANYTHING if you do three things:
1. “NAME” or describe exactly what you need to create, accomplish or produce.
2. “WANT” or truly desire that result or product.
3. “ORGANIZE TO GET” or produce the end result.
To take the WANT step, pick an objective that you NAMED with the “Name Your Product” workbook. For example, your work product or personal goal.
Now answer this question: How important is it to you? On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 meaning you are so excited and passionate about your objective that you can’t sleep), how would you score right now?
“Where no real or valuable production is occurring, one has to ask the question, does the executive really WANT the product he is demanding? And does the staff member or members he is dealing with WANT the product?” — L. Ron Hubbard
Just as you can NAME any product or result you want, you can also WANT anything you like. In fact, many people succeed, not because they are experts in their fields, but because they REALLY WANT to succeed. They will do whatever is necessary to produce their products or reach their objectives.
Many people do not really want their products sufficiently to make it happen. And instead of finding ways to get what they want, they find excuses. “I can’t get this done today because _________.”
Yet when they change their minds and make themselves WANT the objectives, everything goes well.
After you NAME the product, WANT the product.
1. Evaluate your current WANT level on the scale of 1 to 10.
2. Decide to increase your level to 9 or 10. Decide to really WANT the it.
For example, “I’d like a successful career” does not show much WANT. So imagine how successful you might be if you wanted a successful career at this level:
“MAKING MY CAREER A BIG SUCCESS IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME THAT I’LL DO WHATEVER I MUST DO TO BE ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD. I WILL WORK 10-12 HOURS PER DAY. I WILL LEARN ALL I CAN, AND GET AS MUCH HELP AS I CAN, FROM EVERY SOURCE POSSIBLE. I WILL EAT, SLEEP AND BREATHE MY GOAL. I WILL USE ALL MY STRENGTH, TIME, KNOWLEDGE, FAITH, CONFIDENCE AND RESOURCES TO MAKE THIS GO RIGHT. I WILL BECOME THE BEST IN THIS FIELD AND ACCOMPLISH MY GOAL, NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES!”
3. If you can’t make yourself want the product, accomplishment or result, something may be wrong.
You may need to straighten up something in your life first. Certain things can kill your desire: drugs, alcohol, bad relationships, unethical behavior and so on.
Perhaps you need better self discipline, a better approach, more education, better people around you, a kinder attitude toward yourself or a better place to live or work.
Maybe you are distracted by opponents, prior commitments, other important goals, even the news media.
Once you resolve the barriers and distractions so your path opens up, you can make yourself WANT anything. You find ways to passionately, intensively and unreasonably achieve what you really want.
You sit with your eyes closed and boost your level of desire. Tell yourself things like,
- “I REALLY WANT this ____.”
- “It will give me so many benefits like ____.”
- “I will do whatever it takes, no matter the price, to get this _____!”
- “I will work on this instead of going to parties, wasting time online, shopping, chatting, watching TV or going to restaurants. If it does not support my progress, I won’t do it.”
- “NOTHING is more important to me than _____.”
- “I will work every possible waking hour to _____.”
- “Even if it nearly kills me, I’m going to get _____!”
Now get organized and go get it!